Pages

Saturday, December 4, 2010

Alternative Enchiladas

What to do with a pound of tomatillos?

That was the problem I was faced with. I get vegetables delivered every two weeks, and while I can modify my order online, this particular week I had forgotten to look to see what was coming. Thus, I ended up with the unexpected pound of tomatillos. Now, I may have taken the tomatillos if I had take the time to look, but I would have been planning recipes ahead of time. As it was I was sitting there with my bag of tomatillos completely stumped as to what to do with them.


When life gives you tomatillos make salsa verde?


As stated in my Carnitas post, I do not really have roots in Mexican cooking. Soft shell tacos were the limit of our home cooked Mexican food when I was a kid (other than those few times my sister experimented with refried beans and sopaipilla). I have since branched out to quesadilla and more recently tried the Carnitas and Refried Beans. But I had never made enchiladas, in fact, I had never had home cooked enchiladas and I had seldom eaten them at all as I do not enjoy those found at most Tex-Mex places. However, there was a recipe for enchiladas with Verde Sauce I'd been eying "The New Enchanted Broccoli Forest" by Mollie Katzen. A note on the cookbook, this is great for vegetarian and vegan cooking, and also just has delicious recipes in it. You can access it on Googlebooks though the page views are probably limited. If you can get it the enchilada recipe starts on page 141.

One of the things I love about Mollie Katzen's cookbooks is that she gives you choices. She doesn't write a recipe that you are expected to follow from start to finish, but more like pick and chose recipes. Want to make a quiche? Pick a crust, pick a filling, and make your custard. Quiche is go. It is the same concept with enchiladas, pick a sauce, pick a filling, decide about cheese. Enchiladas tally-ho!

The one slight problem I ran into was that the Salsa Verde recipe called for green tomatoes, and I happened to have tomatillos. I looked it up and it seems that most Salsa Verde recipes are made with tomatillos, so I just substituted. One pound of tomatillos is equal to 5 large green to tomatoes... right?

For Salsa Verde:

1 pound tomatillos (or 5 large green tomatoes), diced
1 cup minced onion (I used purple onion as I like its flavor better)
3 large cloves of garlic, minced (or more!)
1 teaspoon salt
1/2 cup diced chilies (anaheim, pablano, jalapeno, or 1/2 cup canned diced green chilies-- I used a couple of jalapenos)
1/4 to 1/2 teaspoon cayenne

Place all of these ingredients in a sauce pan. Bring to a boil (as I was using tomatillos which do not have as much liquid as tomatoes I had to add some water to this mix). Once boiling, lower heat, partially cover and simmer for 15 minutes.

Set aside to cool.

Add
1/4 each minced fresh parsley, minced fresh basil, minced fresh cilantro, minced scallions/green onions (whites and greens)

This sauce can be left chunky or pureed in a blender or food processor. I found that using tomatillos I needed to add a bit extra water as they do not have as much liquid in them as tomatoes. I added water until my sauce looked saucy.

For the filling:

I made half recipes of two kinds of filling which created extra work, but we found as we were eating them that it was nice to have variety.

Filling 1: Avocado

Place in bowl:
1/4 cup fresh lemon juice

Add
2 medium sized avocados peeled, pitted and diced

Toss Avocados in lemon juice

Add to bowl
3 minced garlic cloves
3 to 6 finely minced scallions/green onions (whites and greens!)
1/2 cup minced fresh cilantro
1 medium ripe tomato diced
1/2 tsp. salt
1/2 tsp. ground cumin

Mix these ingredients gently with the diced Avocado and lemon juice and set aside


Filling 2: Zucchini and Pepper

Heat 1 Tbs of olive oil in large skillet

When hot add:

3/4 cup minced onion
3 cloves minced garlic
1/2 tsp salt

Sautee 8 to 10 minutes over medium heat until Onion is very soft.

Add
1 bell pepper (any color) minced
2-3 6 inch zucchini diced
3/4 tsp. ground cumin
1 1/2 tsp. dried basil
1 1/2 tsp dried oregano
cayenne and black pepper to taste (I added about 1 tsp each)

Stir and cook another 8 to 10 minutes until zucchini and peppers are tender

Remove from heat and add

1 1/3 cups packed grated jack cheese

For the cheese I think this is optional. If you were making vegan enchiladas you could leave it out. I actually forgot to add it to mine until I had filled a couple of tortilla so I had some with and some without cheese and both were very good.


Once your sauce and filling is ready add enough sauce to just cover the bottom of to a shallow baking dish. Take a large pack of soft tortillas-- if needed heat them up briefly in a skillet, or soften with water if they are want to break-- and add about 1/4 cup of filling to each tortilla, roll it up and place it in a pan. When I did mine with 2 types of filling I alternated filling types so if you took 2 enchiladas you got one of each type.

Once your pan (or pans) are filled with enchiladas you can sprinkle cheese on top if you like, and then cover the tortilla with the rest of the sauce. Cover the pan with aluminum foil and bake for about 30 minutes at 325.

This recipe made a lot of enchiladas. I ended up with two pans full but only enough sauce for one. I froze the second pan, and bought a jar of enchilada Verde sauce from the store for a easy and delicious home-made frozen dinner. I really liked having the two kinds of enchiladas, the avocado is easier to put together but for some reason is not as filling as the zucchini. If you like, you can add meat or meat substitutes to these fillings if you want to make the recipe more hearty.

No comments:

Post a Comment